Thursday, March 13, 2014

Basement cleanup, Gardening and Office Desk set up!

I apologize for the wide gaps between posts lately. My husband and I work together at his family's company and it's our busy season! We sell RV's and we have been swamped, it's a great thing though. We need some dough to fund all these projects we have going on :)
 
We spent most of our day yesterday cleaning up the basement, and we still aren't done! I'm estimating the sq. ft. down there to be around 1500. The bad part was that the builder did not clean up their mess and there is a ton of red mud that has dried; it's gross. We bought a shop-vac from Lowes and started vacuuming everything. We organized the storage portion with my stockpile of home items (which btw, looks tiny now!) and organized all our other boxes and plastic storage bins. I still have about half of the floor/walls/windows to vacuum but it should go quicker now because the rest of the space is pretty much empty.
This section was vacuumed and you can still see all the red mud stains. We will have to mop to get it all up :(
 
We have a million lady bugs in the basement, I don't know how they are getting in...I'm assuming around the windows. Any tips for reducing this? We have ladybugs in the main levels of the house too but no joke, an army was in the basement :( 
 
We also purchased a good bit of gardening tools from Lowes, I can't wait to get started! We purchased some planters for strawberries, cilantro and spinach; and we purchased beans, zucchini, beets and 2 blueberry bushes. My husband is obsessed with blueberries, they won't produce fruit for 2 years but I know it will be worth the wait :)
 
The builder left over a good bit of wood in our backyard so I am repurposing it to make a raised garden bed. I am also using some leftover hardi-board to line the raised bed with so it can match the house. It is going to be 10 feet long and around 4 feet wide. I had to call our HOA because everything has to be approved, I was so relived to find out that we can do whatever we want in the back and the only thing that needs to be approved is a fence, which we aren't installing.

The idea I have for the raised bed is something like this:
I've been told that we have lots of rabbits where we live so I may need to install
some chicken wire to keep them out! When we would visit the house last summer/fall we would always see rabbits running down the streets :)
 
I also purchased 10 Leyland Cypress trees from a vendor online, they came in and I hope to plant them next Wednesday.


 
------------------------
I finally got my desk yesterday! It has been hanging out in my in-law's barn after I had it painted. I love it. I have a before picture on here too so you can see the difference. I haven't decided about the top yet, I kind of like the idea of leaving it as it is, it's a rubber type of top. It's pretty beat up but I like the vintage feel. I had to get it repainted because it was starting to rust so it was sandblasted then painted. It looks TINY in this picture for some reason but it's really around 6 feet long and 5 feet deep! The opening for the chair is very small.

My rug should be here within the next 2 weeks to complete this room. I also want to style this desk, I need to look on pinterest for some ideas!

Before
 

4 comments:

  1. I love that desk! What did you use to paint it? Also, where did you buy your trees online? We built a garden in our yard too and I love it! It's so nice to just walk out back to get your produce for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! the guy used car/RV paint to paint it with a sprayer :) And I bought the trees from http://www.quicktrees.com/ , super fast shipping and great follow up! I hope to plant our garden in two weeks, the weather here has been NUTS! it was 33 degrees yesterday and supposed to be 70 degrees on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job!! I really like your ideas especially the gardening idea. We all appreciate your effort. Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful experience.
    Posted by: Caitlyn | Basement Conversion

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been very busy! And most of your attention is spent on your business and projects on your house. I know how tough that could be sometimes. Good thing your desk has arrived, and that hopefully made your day better. How’s the progress on your house, btw?

    Albert Andrews @ Pharaoh Manufacturing

    ReplyDelete